WHASHTON, NORTH RIDING, York, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth—(which see for access, &c.)—wapentake of Gilling-West, union of Richmond.
237 miles from London, 4 from Richmond, 12 from Darlington.
Money orders issued at Richmond.
London letters delivered 10a.m.
Post closes 2 p.m.
Contains 1,000 acres, 28 houses.
Population in 1841, 133
Poor rates in 1848, £44 13s 0d. (Published 1852)
The family of Tailbois possessed considerable property at Whashton.
Johannes Talboys de Whashton, 11 May, 1600.
Richardus Talboyes de Whashton, 1 June, 1606.
House of Commons Papers 1835 WHASHTON Township (Pop. 159.)
One Boarding School (commenced 1823), in which 15 males are educated at the expense of their parents.
1859. Whashton Township. — Whashton, or Washton, township, contains 1,195 acres, of the rateable value of £1,084.
Population, 140 persons.
C. Cradock, Esq. (Lord of the Manor), George Sowerby, Esq., and Miss Sweetman, are the chief owners of the soil.
The Village is situated on an acclivity, under the eastern verge of the high moors of Arkengarth Forest, 4 miles N.W. of Richmond, and less than 1 mile S.E. of Kirby Hill.
The New Churchman Magazine November 1855
A YOUNG MAN, 26 years of age, who has had several years’ experience in teaching, is desirous of obtaining the mastership of a small elementary school in connection with the New Church. It is hoped some of the ministers of that Church will respond to this appeal, as the advertiser is anxious to devote himself to the cause of Education, and his religious principles preclude the possibility of his connecting himself as a schoolmaster with any denomination of Christians but the New Jerusalem. For particulars apply to Henry McLagan, Whashton Lodge, near Richmond, Yorkshire.
1801 WHASHTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby Ravensworth, wapentake of Gilling West, N. R., County of York.
Distance from Richmond, 4 m.
Population in 1801 113; in 1831, 159.
A. P. with Ravensworth £3,377.
“Whashton is the site of an ancient settlement, although it is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Book of 1086 as at that time it was included with Ravensworth.
“The earliest record of the village’s name appears to have been 1154 when it was known as Whasingatun. This evolved through Whassingetun to Wassington by 1208. By the end of that century it had become Quasshyngton or Quassingheton and by the 16th and 17th centuries it had become the more recognisable name of Whasheton.
“It is believed that the name derived from the Angles who originated in Schleswig-Holstein and who started coming to Britain after the departure of the Romans in the 5th century. The name probably derives from the Angle term for a hamlet (tun-ton) of the people (-ing) of Hwassa.
“It is recorded that Akery Fitz Bardolf gave the manor of Whashton to his son Bonde fil Ajery, alias Bonde de Wassington or Bonde de Ravensworth in 1156. At one time in the 13th century half the manor was held by Henry Fitz Ranulf and the other by his under-lord, Robert, son and heir of Eudo de Wassington, a descendant of Bonde. However on the death of Robert in 1286 without an heir the two halves were reunited, since when they have followed the descent of the manor of Ravensworth.
“Whashton can claim to have been the site of one of the earliest boarding schools in the area. These schools drew their pupils through advertisements in the London and provincial newspapers, and flourished until being publicised by Charles Dickens in the 19th century, the so-called ‘Bluecoats Schools’.
The first of these schools was founded at some time in the early 18th century by a Mr Allen who died in 1749. Another school was run by Rev Henry Hale in the early 1800s, and in 1840 records show a school run by a Mrs Binks. Few details are known of the activities of these schools or if they were connected in any way.
“However, the last school in Whashton was that run by Mr Thomas Waller at Whashton Lodge from about 1840 until his death in 1840. School activities were centred around a barn like building which stood to the front and west of the existing house in the grassed area adjacent to the present day pub car park.
One fact worthy of note is that one of the ushers who worked for Mr Waller for a time was a Mr Hislop who had previously worked as assistant to William Shaw then headmaster of Bowes Academy at the time Charles Dickens attempted to inspect that school in 1838. The character of Wackford Squires in ‘Nicholas Nickelby’ is said to be based on Shaw. Hislop worked at Whashton for 10 years and died in the Hospital of St John at Kirkby Hill”.